Revenge: At Its Finest!

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2 comments

  
   Revenge is a thriller drama series from abc, which I believe is one of the most talked about series today. I'll admit I'm one season late in the party, though I always see the trailer of this series in Starworld, I was really not that interested with it, not until my high school classmates mentioned how really good it was and so I decided to embark on a journey to watch it and I was eagerly drawn into it as I watch the first episode. It's really addicting, know why? (Watch it! or) Here's why...

STORY
     June 4, 1993, all over the news was the plane crash of flight 197 which took 246 innocent lives. David Clarke was the suspect who was founded to be laundering money to Americon initiative a secret terrorist group. On a different year, Emily Thorne comes to the Hamptons, where she does not plan to just enjoy the summer and the beach and definitely not to just socialize with the Hamptonites, but to pleasurably take revenge on those who framed her father-David Clarke. 

    It becomes clear that David Clarke was after all telling the truth that he did not committed the said crime. It was the Conrad Grayson's fault and he chose David Clarke as the patsy. Now (and 6/8 years of planning in the past), Emily (who is the real Amanda Clarke) dedicates her life to a life of vengeance and one by one she takes down those people responsible for her father's imprisonment and death. 



CAST

Emily Van Camp as Emily Thorne/Amanda Clarke
Madeleine Stowe as Victoria Grayson
Gabriel Mann as Nolan Ross
Henry Czerny as Conrad Grayson
Nick Wechsler as Jack Porter
Josh Bowman as Daniel Grayson
Ashley Madekwe as Ashley Davenport
Christa B. Allen as Charlotte Grayson
Connor Paolo as Declan Porter
James Tupper as David Clarke
Barry Sloane as Aiden Mathis
Margarita Levieva as the real Emily Thorne
Jennifer Jason Leigh as Kara Wallace Clark



    Revenge is loosely based on the story of The Count of Monte Cristo, a great revenge story as well, from being condemned for life to a crime he did not commit, Edmond Dantes ventured on a retribution after escaping Chateau D'If. Also, people have been saying that Emily is the female counterpart of Dexter (another series) who had been successful in capturing the audience despite having to do bad stuff- killing. How is it possible that we are still rooting for them despite that? First of all, we know their personal stories, the reason why they do those necessary evils and it is not just because they are cold-blooded psychopaths wanting to hurt people for their delectation,  and they are also capable of vulnerability at some point. Also, there's the code, which can only make him kill those who are guilty. Same here in Revenge, there is sort of a code in which Emily follows, to take revenge, not by killing but by bringing down one's life from the robust life they have after selling out their souls to the Graysons, the killing just happens not intently. 


So what happened last episode? 
Season 2 Episode 7 "Penance"


      Nolan sacrificed his company for Emily by giving the only proof of the connection of Nolcorp to Grayson Global. Mason now knows the truth about Emily being the real Amanda. Daniel's attempt to overrule his father as Grayson Global's new CEO now meets the investors and an initiative member. Kara threatened to kill Victoria and Conrad, upon the knowledge that they were behind Gordon's death as well as David's prosecution. Emily set up Mason and had him seized for the crimes he did not commit and eventually making a deal with him to write a book about her life and her father while in jail, a book that will exonerate her father to the public as well as letting the public know the real Mason Treadwell, in exchange for her full confession in the end and eventually exonerate him. 



Why I love it and why will you?

   
   You'll surely love every bit of the more or less forty-three minute run of every episode. I assure you! But still, let me say some things to love about Revenge. 


    There are so many twists in the story. I love how they, at the beginning of an episode, make you assume or guess what might have happened and make you believe it, only at the end it would be a different story. It's like watching CSI, making you guess on what's going to happen, whose fault it is and the like. I love the techie-savvy stuff, the treachery, the affairs, the romance at the side, the revenge-y scenes. Not really much drama to it or not yet, more of a thriller/suspense (sometimes of psychiatric relation not of crime alone) that would get you at the edge of your seat. I love the flashbacks and the swoosh camera angle change, the beachfront, the Clarke's beach house, the Grayson manor (and how they manage to look that the three mentioned places are in one place, pretty neat green screen use, and yes it was not really in The Hamptons), the Stowaway, the Amanda, the double infinity sign, the high-end fashion, the box, Nolan's house.



    There are so many characters to love, to hate, to love and eventually hate, to hate and eventually love. My favorite characters? 



    It's gonna be the duo Emily Thorne/Amanda Clarke (Emily Van Camp) and Nolan Ross (Gabriel Mann), but not in a romantic way. 



   I love Emily so much, she's very knowledgeable about a lot of stuff and skillful as well (and very beautiful). I have no revenge agenda in mind but I hope too be just like her- that strong woman she is. And who would not notice her lovely and  equally deceiving eyes, her so called vicious "the croc" stare. I also love Emily, the Van Camp one, she seems very down to earth and fun, she's charming to watch in her interviews. Love her. Quick thought, is it just a coincidence Emily Thorne is named Emily. I mean, Emily Van Camp and Emily Alyn Lind?



    On the other hand, Nolan, has this comedic side, he could be treacherous at times but he has proven capacity to care and to love. I feel for him whenever he would show his loving yet somewhat lonely side (I got you Nolan! No matter what). I too, never saw that "he is bisexual" coming. Anyway, I love his clothes, his style, his new haircut looks great too. I love how he articulates his words sexily, his drawl is to die for. I saw Gabriel's interview with Ellen and he really seems like Nolan. I'm a fan, love him!




      Who's not loving the love triangle with Daniel-Emily-Jack? I have a crush on Daniel (who wouldn't? when he smiles, I could just melt!) but I don't really like his character, he's one in the love and eventually hate category. Jack on the other hand, is really something, who wouldn't want someone in their lives who is willing to sacrifice his self for your sake and love's. 



   I also love how ice-cold funny Conrad and Victoria could be when they fight and speak of each other sarcastically. Victoria is so beautiful and elegant.

    I love how the characters would smirk or fake their smiles and eventually draw a bitchy-revenge-y-I'm-really-not-that-innocent-as-you-think look in their faces. I love how they would outsmart one another. There are these boom-I-got-you-now-your-move moments, that were really fascinating to watch. Can't wait for Emily and Victoria's cat fight! I also love the narration on every episode, like that of Grey's Anatomy and Heroes, it's just that here it revolves around the theme of vengeance. I love how their lines are created and poetically put. See some quotes below. 




    I can't wait for its epic conclusion of maybe remorse and sympathy and forgiveness.  Last   episode "Penance", Amanda mentioned on having her full confession, I just hope she wouldn't kill anyone in the way and please be it a happily ever after for her, she deserves it.  And hopefully, this series would not be cut unlike those series I really loved only to find out that its ending have come and the epic conclusion is nowhere near it.



  Also, the music every episode is very commendable, really suits the revenge-y atmosphere. When I heard the theme song of Skyfall, I thought it fits the music in this series. Here's a playlist of Revenge songs on youtube and the tracklist  of every episode.


    I guess the only thing that we (rather they) didn't like about this series was when it only comes with a new episode on the third week of the last, really why? Quoting Ellen, "What's happening? aren't you'll acting fast enough." Well, this season, I hope we don't have to worry about that anymore! Please be consistent, new Revenge every week! 



Here is a Revenge Blooper reel I saw in youtube,
funny scenes, that will make you love the characters even more.



   To end, here are a couple of nice to ponder quotes from the Revenge (with random pictures), mostly are the narration at the start and end of an episode by Amanda. Yes, I'm this committed, I impractically written the lines, (rewinding again and again just to make sure it's right since there was no subtitles) because they really caught the neurons of my brain and chambers of my heart. I think I'm gonna keep a quote booklet from now on. 

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves - Confucius 504 BC"
"When I was a little my understanding of revenge was as simple as the Sunday school proverbs it hid behind. Neat little morality slogans, like 'Do unto others' and 'Two wrongs don't make a right.' But two wrongs can never make a right because two wrongs can never equal each other."
 
"For the truly wronged real satisfaction can only be found in one of two places absolute forgiveness or mortal vindication. This is not a story about forgiveness."
 
"For the innocent, the past may hold a reward, but for the treacherous it's only a matter of time before the past delivers what they truly deserve." 

"Guilt is a powerful affliction, you can try to turn your back on it, but that's when it sneaks up behind you and eats you alive."  

"The greatest weapon anyone can use against us is our own mind. By preying on the doubts and uncertainties that already lurk there. Are we true to ourselves? Or do we live for the expectations of others? And if we are open and honest, can we ever truly be loved? Can we find the courage to release our deepest secrets, or in the end are we all unknowable... even to ourselves."  

"Like life revenge can be a messy business, and both would be so much simpler, if only our heads could figure out which way our hearts will go. But the heart has its reasons, of which reason cannot know."  

"There's an old saying about those who cannot remember the past being condemned, repeat it. But those of us who refuse to forget the past, are condemned to relive it."  

"Just as there are two sides to every story, there are two sides to every person, one that we reveal to the world, and another we keep hidden inside. A duality governed by the balance of light and darkness."  

"Within each of us is the capacity for both good and evil, but those who are able to blow the moral dividing line hold the true power." 

"They say vengeance taken will tear the heart and torment the conscience, if there's any truth to it, then I know now in certainty that the path I'm on is the right path." 

"The past is a tricky thing,sometimes it's etched in stone, and other times it's rendered in soft memories. But if you meddled too long in deep dark things, who knows what monsters you'll awaken." 

"Penance is a sacrifice, a voluntary punishment show remorse for a sin. The more grievous the sin, the greater the self-inflicted suffering. For some, the ultimate penance is death, but for others, it is simply a means to an end. To properly do penance one must express contrition for one’s sins and perform acts to repair the damage caused by those transgressions. It is only when those acts are complete that the slate can truly be wiped clean and amnesty gives way to a new beginning." 

Warden Stiles: ...But violence is a short-sided solution when it really comes to handling your enemies. There are better ways to go about it, smarter ways... 
 
Victoria: Understand something Lydia, Every time I smile at you across a room, or we run into each other at luncheon, or I welcome you into my home, let that smile be a reminder of just how much I despise you. That every time I hug you, the warmth you feel is my hatred burning through. Goodbye Lydia. 
I loved that line by Victoria! So cold.

A big big Kudos to the creator, 

Mike Kelley.




Read more, know more, everything more in this link!

abc.com/revenge (credit for the photos)




And leave a comment below!

2 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd like to know what you have to say, do leave a comment :)