Coming Soon: Tiktik: The Aswang Chronicles (2012)

Friday, August 24, 2012 0 comments
            I saw thecreativedork's post regarding this movie and I thought that this is the right moment to share my thing with horror movies. But let's first talk about the movie/trailer. 


Tiktik: The Aswang Chronicles (Opens October 17, 2012)
Directed by Erik Matti
Synopsis from their official site: www.theaswangchronicles.com :

    With dark shades on and a burning cigarette between his lips, Makoy (Dingdong Dantes) will do whatever it takes to get back his girlfriend Sonia (Lovi Poe), who's pregnant with their child. He makes the trip to remote Pulupandan, her hometown, and is quickly rebuffed by Sonia's mother Fely (Janice de Belen). But Makoy has never been one to give up. With the help of Sonia's father Nestor (Joey Marquez) and his ever-dependable helper Bart (Ramon Bautista), Makoy stays in town to surprise Sonia on her birthday. But alas, Makoy gets into trouble with a group of townsfolk who transform into tiktik—horrific, man-eating creatures with a taste for fetuses that are still in the womb! They are angry, and they are hungry for revenge. Will their thirst for blood and retribution be quenched? Will Makoy finally get his act together, protect Sonia and their baby, and once and for all prove himself worthy of their love? Who will win in the battle between men and monsters?


Or just watch the trailer


      Nice! Nothing like you've seen before in Filipino movies, right?

     It's a full length film shot with green screen backdrop and used chroma keying to add awesome effects. For you to understand better, here are some pictures I got from chuvaness.com. The before and after shots.


        Amazing right?!

        I agree with the creativedork that the visuals have the same feel as that of the movie 300 (Sucker Punch and Watchmen as well, all from the great direction of Zachary Synder)While seeing the trailer, I remembered the movie Sin City, because of the transition of the movie from the real characters and the comic ones, though Sin City is neo-noir. Regarding the story, they use the tiktik as their creature who eats fetuses in a mother's womb which I really find capturing (Ha! With that I mean, capturing audience, movie goers), since it's a creature known to Filipinos, and for an international release (which I believe they're doing, because of the subtitle), not being familiar with it could be a reason to watch it. I remember watching an old movie regarding Tiktiks, but I can't find the title. It seems that the tiktiks in this movie are a bit different from what I know (or they just didn't put in on the trailer), which are creatures that extend their tongues so that they could reach the mother's womb from up the roof (or maybe because in the film they did not use nipa huts anymore, ha!). 

I totally think that this movie is worth watching! Hope that it's good as I think it would.

FROM: Lagarista.com
         This is the graphic novel adaptation of the mentioned all green screen movie (yes, you read it right, it's actually the other way around, not the usual film based on comics, but comics based on the film). See here:

FROM:geekmatic.blogspot.com
Here are some of their comic-styled posters, from their facebook page. Like them on facebook!


Now here is my thing with horror movies. I've said before (quote)
I personally don't like horror/thriller movies because I get scared easily and I have a very imaginative mind so basically it would take me a long time to forget scary images in my head which makes it very difficult to sleep at night or go to the bathroom alone. The very thought of watching something thrilling would make me not watch a movie because I would always associate with something horrific having ghost, monsters and other scary things/people.
        You see in the Philippines, on the days of November, they would usually have these documentaries (remember Magandang Gabi Bayan? we'd watch that and they'd turn off all the lights in the house) regarding Aswangs (a mythical creature in Filipino Folklore: evil vampire-like creatures, that have different kinds), demonic possessions, ghosts, and other horrifying things. As supernatural as it sounds and looks, for a kid, it's really frightening and I grew up thinking that it is true (Some Filipinos would use aswangs to scare kids)  though they would keep telling me that it is not. I'm that paranoid! That even a soft noise in the roof, in my mind, it would be either because of the thieves or the aswangs, old houses are haunted and a mere dark shade can be a ghost. And I'd rather watch an international horror/thriller movies (which I now do, unlike before that I usually avoid)  than those shot here in the Philippines because of my mentation that I live in the Philippines so if they're really true, I can be one of their victims or I could see them anytime now, (Not unless they know how to travel abroad, since they too are actual people! Gosh, like the  vampires in Twilight who move to places), and the fact that (I'm sorry to say this) some filipino horror movies have corny and crappy  (non realistic) creatures. 

hihi! That's it! 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd like to know what you have to say, do leave a comment :)