Little Rascals (1994)

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1 comments

   I just remembered a memory (I'm not really good in memories, trust me!) in school, wherein I and my classmate were talking about something, though I don't actually remember what was it all about (see?!) but we started talking about this movie where "Alfalfa"- (Brandon "Bug" Hall) (who could forget this kid with the hair pointing up?, he now looks like that) was the lead character and we (I don't know why) seem to have the title in the end of our tongues. It was really funny because I can't concentrate for our exam because I was bothered so much (I hate that about me) that I can't remember the title of that movie. I started asking people if they knew that movie and the title. I even ask one of my classmates to search for it in the net, too bad he can't connect. I also wanted to text a friend who really loves that movie, but there was no signal, err! (why are you doing this to me?!?). Still, I wasn't able to know it, so I just went back in our classroom, disappointed me, and then, eventually the people I'm chatting with earlier knew it already. Whew! What a relief! It’s Little Rascals!



     Okay, now that I remembered that incident, I'm now going to write about Little Rascals, one of the cutest films ever and one of my favorite movies as a kid. (Even up to now!- aside from Matilda, Casper and Parent trap). Little Rascals is actually a film adaptation of Hal Roach's "Our Gang", which is a series of short films. (I was wondering where could i find those) So, I watched it again recently and it was really cute that I even memorized some of the lines, with the fact that I have watched it a long time ago, when VHS tapes were still the hit!




   Little Rascals (comedy) is a story about a club they called He-Man Womun Haters Club, headed by their President Spanky (that kid, on the side, wearing a big smile) , members of which must vow to dislike girls and never fall in love with them.

"I... Stymie... Member in good standing of the He-Man Woman Haters Club... Do solemnly swear to be a he-man and hate women and not play with them or talk to them unless I have to. And especially: never fall in love, and if I do may I die slowly and painfully and suffer for hours - or until I scream bloody murder."


     The club also own a race kart named "the Blur" which had won for 5 consecutive years. Spanky called for an emergency meeting in their clubhouse (yes! They do have one, they also have a password for you to get in which is really adorable! see the 3rd picture on the side) where they tackled updates on how they've shown hatred to girls. It was really innocently cute. They also talked about who will be the racer for the next race cart derby and it was Alfalfa who was drawn. But Alfalfa was not in the meeting, so they looked for him and found him in the lake having a date with Darla- his sweetheart. Alfalfa, though a member of the said club, still is a woman lover but he does not have the guts to tell her club mates and best friend (Spanky) about Darla because they may expel him from the club. Darla dared Alfalfa to have their lunch date in their clubhouse to prove that he is not ashamed of her, so Alfalfa thought that it would be fine and they would not get caught since it was a swimming day, so they would not be staying in the clubhouse. Together with Spanky, the team sabotaged their lunch date which then leads to a disastrous event of burning their clubhouse. The team blamed Alfalfa for the incident and was given the sentence of not ever seeing Darla again and guarding the blur, 24-7.



                  
    Many things happened that led to the lost of the Blur? Who stole the Blur? What will they do now, with the cart derby days away? The rest is for you to know! 
I could have written the whole story but I'm tired and I know you're bored! 

     This is really a good movie to watch- a feel-good one!. A really funny and entertaining movie with those little innocent kids doing crazy-cute stuff. There were just lines that I could not really understand,because of how they enunciate them, but still that was a part of the charm! I don't really know the meaning of the words they call others like "mud munchers", "snot wads" haha!
     
     On the other hand, I'm not so sure if this would be a good movie to let children watch (alone) since it includes rude speeches and bad actions done by kids which could be misinterpreted by the watching kids to be a good thing. Parental guidance is truly advised! (I've really seen the effects of movies and tv shows to children, since I have nieces and a nephew who would copy what they have watched-good and bad. One of my niece would hit people and would throw things from watching Tom and Jerry, she would only eat rice after seeing Mulan does the same, and not eat apple because Snow White was poisoned...those kind of stuff, so supervision is really needed when letting children watch different tv shows or movies) However, a good thing is that the conclusion at the end included lessons to be learned, of opening doors for the opposite gender, exercising team work, and valuing true friendship.




Porky! Porky is my favorite; he's just so adorable and fun to watch. He would also walk, dance, talk, smile and laugh in a way that would want to make you say "awww , he is so cute". He's really the cutest little boy! (No! maybe the second cutest from my nephew!) I want to have him already.


So that's it, you? what's your favorite movie as a kid?!




Comments are highly appreciated!

1 comments:

  • Unknown said...

    I'm 24 and I was thinking about this movie the other day and I always considered it to be a movie about friendship. After thinking about it more deeply (maybe TOO deeply), this movie could be interpreted as a satire of the cultural double standard of promiscuity and monogamy among men and women. Men are conditioned to take pride in the quantity of their sexual experiences more so than the longevity of their relationships. In the film Alfalfa was shamed for having a close relationship with Darla and pressured to prioritize his bros over women in general. The woman-haters club was the childhood parallel or version of the resistance against monogamous relationships of many men in their 20s, especially within the hook up.

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd like to know what you have to say, do leave a comment :)